Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Luray Earth Day 5K

Today marks the 6th anniversary of my very first competitive race. I ran the Salt Lake City 5K on April 23, 2005. It was a life changing experience for me. I have been hooked on running ever since. I have run multiple 5K's, a few 10K's, 3 half marathons, and am registered to run my first marathon on November 12, 2011.

Today I participated in the Luray Earth Day 5K. The setting was breathtaking, but I'm afraid it wasn't the beauty of my surroundings that really took my breath away ;-)

There were about 70 participants, and there were no timing chips involved. It was definitely a small town race. It was my kind of race.

I mostly run on a treadmill, so this was my first time running on pavement in a LONG time.

It rained all night long last night, but the weather cooperated and the rain stopped about 30 minutes before the race. The wind, unfortunately, didn't. We were running directly into the wind for most of the race.

Here I am at about the 1.5 mile mark.....before I got lost....
Yes, I got lost. I was left in the dust by the fast runners and was ahead of the slower runners, running solo, and took a wrong turn. I then had to make a course correction. I probably lost at least l minute trying to get back on track. Note to self: go UNDER the bridge next time!

I got winded trying to make up for lost time and had to walk for awhile, so my time was 3 minutes slower than my first 5K. I was really hoping to beat my 2005 time. Bummer.
April 23, 2005 - 30:09
April 23, 2011 - 33:07

I did manage to place 3rd in my age category - Females 45-54.
I won this handy-dandy mug!

My support team ;-)

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

look at you, winning a mug!!! good job :)