Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

How do I admit loving a book about Nazis, narrated by Death?  I've read many WWII and holocaust books, but most of them were stories of survivors who endured the horrors of concentration camps.  This book is from a different perspective.  It's from the point of view of the German people who didn't necessarily agree with the Nazi Party but were forced to comply to protect their livelihoods and families.  It's about the power of words and the power of love.   
The writing is beautiful and almost poetic, and while it may be a long book, I loved every word of it.  I found myself rereading several passages, not because I didn't understand them, but because I wanted to savor and remember them.   I experienced so many emotions while reading this book.  One minute I was laughing, the next I was crying.  There were also times that I was so angry that I had to put the book down and take a breather.
  A friend loaned me a copy of this book.  I will be buying a copy of my own because I know that The Book Thief is one that I will return to many times in years to come.  I won't be ordering this one on my Kindle.  I want this book sitting on my bookshelf. Considering the subject matter, this is a book that needs to be held in your hands and have its pages turned.  

1 comment:

Geny said...

I just read this book too Tami and I agree that it was a wonderful book!